Lantern Architecture was engaged by Juniper Aged Care to undertake the design of a refurbishment of their main entry building and cafe at St Andrews aged care facility in Balcatta. The existing entry building built in the late 90s is tired, dark and underutilised.
Working closely with Juniper’s staff and project manager Lantern aided with the development of the project brief which outlined the following objectives to help improve the level of amenity of staff, residents and visitors:
- Refurbish Cafe area and provide a better connection to the courtyard
- New kitchen
- Refurbish the courtyard and add play equipment
- Relocate reception closer to entry
- Increase the size of the staff room
- Relocate hairdresser / Physiotherapy room
After assessing, the existing internal layout, Lantern’s design approach involved reconfiguring the kitchen space to open the dining area and adding large bi-fold doors to improve the connection to the currently unutilised courtyard area. The reception counter is relocated adjacent to the dining area closer to the entry to improve wayfinding and staff surveillance.